Homestyle Mac and Cheese Dog
- 1 pkg(s) Nathan's Skinless Beef Franks1 pkg(s)
- 1 pkg(s) Nathan's hot dog buns1 pkg(s)
- 1 pkg(s) Macaroni and cheese (boxed or homemade, recipe below)1 pkg(s)
- Toasted italian breadcrumbs
Homemade Mac and Cheese:
- 1 lb. Elbow macaroni1 lb.
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Mild cheddar cheese, shredded1 1/2 cup(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) Shredded parmesan cheese1/2 cup(s)
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted butter2 Tbsp.
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. All-purpose flour2 1/2 Tbsp.
- 3 cup(s) Milk3 cup(s)
- 1/2 Tsp. Smoked paprika1/2 Tsp.
Love the classic, cheesy flavor of boxed mac and cheese? Go for it! Boxed, homemade, frozen - there's no wrong way to top your Nathan's with mac and cheese. Either way, start with the mac and cheese. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain when complete. Return to pot and finish according to the box instructions. Going the homemade route? In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then whisk in the flour and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring until it thickens. Next, slowly add in the milk and whisk till smooth. Bring to a simmer. Simmer on medium to medium high until sauce starts to thicken, stirring constantly, approximately 3-5 minutes. Lower heat and stir in shredded cheeses. Continue to stir and cook on low until all cheese is melted. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Return drained pasta to original pot, then slowly pour cheese sauce over and mix thoroughly. Keep warm on low before hot dog assembly.
Cook your hot dogs your favorite way. We suggest pan-fried with butter!
Toast the breadcrumbs. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread breadcrumbs in a shallow baking pan and bake in the middle of the oven, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10-15 minutes.
Assemble your dog! Nestle dog into the bun, generously spoon macaroni and cheese over the entire dog, and finish with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs.